Do you live in Fresno, Madera, Merced, Kings, Tulare or Mariposa Counties? If so, guess what, UCSF Fresno Hospital offers a Summer Biomedical Research Internship Program.
The UCSF Fresno Summer Biomedical Internship Program was established in 1988 to provide a quality biomedical research experience for high school students—the first of its kind in the Central San Joaquin Valley. The program matches high school students, in the summer between their junior and senior year of high school, with faculty members who have or are developing a research project. In the last twenty-seven years, over two hundred students have participated in the SBI program and many of them are finishing their medical residencies, are working in the biomedicine or biotechnical industries, or are in medical school or doctorate programs at various universities.
Students are chosen each year based on their scholastic abilities. Applications are accepted from the six county area. The number of students coincides with the number of faculty available to work with a student. The faculty member, his or her staff and the SBI student work daily on this project for 6 – 7 weeks. Additionally, there are opportunities for field trips for the group to visit each other’s project site, tour local hospitals and medical facilities, listen to various speakers and participate in discussions with residents. Students also may view surgery and will visit the main campus of UCSF in San Francisco for a tour of various research laboratories. This program is designed to enhance the opportunity for students to develop an understanding of the biomedical sciences while introducing them to a possible career in the healthcare professions.
The Eligibiligy Requirements Are As Follows:
- Currently enrolled as a junior in high school
- Must be at least 16 years old by June 1, 2015
- Must have a 3.0 or better grade point average
- Live within the six county area that includes Fresno, Madera, Merced, Kings, Tulare and Mariposa
- One page, typed questionnaire
- Letter of recommendation
- Copy of recent PSAT or SAT test
Selection and Requirements
- Complete packet containing all required items
- Internships begin in early June 2015 and end August 5, 2015
- Parental permission is required
- No more than 3 working day absences during the during the 6 – 7 week period
For Full Details Visit: UCSF Fresno Summer Biomedical Research Internship Program
If you want help with applying for this internship program let us know.